Thursday, February 09, 2006

Armadilloes

Once upon a time I was driving back (or rather, being chauffeured back) from a trip to the east coast of Florida to see manatees. Manatees are great. It was getting close to dusk and all of the surrounding greenery was starting to creep and creak with animals. At one point my friend stopped the car for a small creature half-hidden in the verge of the road. It was an armadillo, and I got a pretty good look at it before it indignantly scuttled off into the shubbery*.

Armadilloes, dear people, are the cutest, most touching and endearing animals ever. To my friend's dismay, I do actually like them ever better than manatees. They're so small and contrary to what you would expect they look quite soft, and they have these tiny ears....

I am going all soggy at the thought alone.

The human mind is a strange thing.

*The word shrubbery always and inevitably reminds my of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, the scene where the Knights who say Ni.
"Arthur: Well what is it you want?
Knight of Ni: We want.....
(pregnant pause)
A SHRUBBERY!!!!"
If you don't know what I am talking about then, eh, never mind

2 comments:

Drek said...

You know sadly, and as I have mentioned before, armadillos are also one of the only mammals aside from humans that can contract leprosy.

Which is why it's best to admire armadillos from a distance.

TDEC said...

Hm, useful to know I guess. Mind you, I don't really think you should ever touch a wild animal, no matter how cute it is, not just because of disease (yours or theirs) but because human scent traces are not the best thing for a wild animal.