Wednesday, November 28, 2007

More interesting

I have a blogpost all ready to go, but it is really a boring blogpost, so instead I'm blogging about Beowulf, which I saw over Thanksgiving. To take my cue from Seamus Heaney's modern translation:
So, there's this famous epic poem that I sort of read many years ago, and now someone - including Famous Neil Gaiman - has made a movie of it. So when one of my friends asked if I wanted to go see it I said sure and off we went.

I didn't know that the movie was going to be this weird real/CGI combo. with Anthony Hopkins not quite as himself, and Angelina Jolie as herself, only covered in gold paint... I didn't like the crossover. It just weirded me out; kind of like watching a video game.

What about the story? The story is roughly the original story, kind of over the top. Lots of blood and singing. Sure; I can deal with that. Then Beowulf arrives, and takes off all his clothes, and does naked fighting. I am not sure, but I hope that the objects-conveniently-covering-genitalia thing is intentionally funny; because it is quite funny. I ended up feeling rather sorry for Grendel, really, who comes off as very blood-thirsty sensitive bloke.

Angelina Jolie. Covered in gold paint. With feet shaped like heels. What can I say? You either like that kind of thing or you don't. Seeing Anthony Hopkins' bottom, however, CGI or not, is definitely not on the list of things I want. Oh well - you pays your money...

So? It's a hoot, and the dragon is splendid, but not a very good movie. Oh and I impressed the Spouse by understanding Anglo-Saxon. Muhaha.

No comments: