Friday, November 30, 2007

Simultaneous


Thomas Paine's Common Sense (small, red book) and Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods on tape.

Thomas Paine annoys me for the most part. He is terrible overstated. I guess it served the purpose at the time. Something to balance the British rhetoric and the colonies' doubt. Sure.

Bill Bryson on the other hand is surprisingly agreeable. I appreciate his normalcy. I like hearing about his trip, and with the audiobooks it is like listening to a compelling friend talk. Yes; very friendly. Very Good America, without being uncritical. He is the literary equivalent of muesli. The fact that it is on tape, rather than CD, is somehow comforting.

It looks like I am taking a course in Classic United States stuff. I'll be reading Thoreau next if I don't watch out.

No comments: