Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Some stuff

On Thanksgiving:
I am going to be off tomorrow evening, to celebrate the glorious holiday of Thanksgiving. I am bringing part 1 of The Half-Blood Prince with me for the trip to get into the right sort of mindset.

And don't I have a lot to be thankful for this year. I will not bore you with the list of acknowledgements; just take my word for it. It is November 20th, and I feel like all I want to do is hum, and maybe do a little dance, since I am a terrible singer. So if you see someone in a beat-up car singing along loudly to KT Tunstall or Franz Ferdinand, it's probably me.

On theatre:
I'm going to the theatre tonight, my old paramour. It reminds me of why theatre is such an addictive environment. It is - and I guess this is no coincidence - the hobby equivalent of moving countries: new, exciting things, short timespans, high emotion and hastily forged relationships. It is incredibly stimulating and intense, and it will show you people in a way you would not otherwise see them (in their underwear. emotionally vulnerable. exhausted. passionate...). Putting on a play, like moving countries, is like falling in love, and it is no wonder that they often get confused. Like a rollercoaster, and I'll quote Billy Bragg because he is better with words than I am: "It was just like being on a fast ride at the Fun Fair- the sort you want to get off because it's scary and then, as soon as you're off again, you want to get straight back on again"

So what do you get, except old pictures and playbills? Why do theatre, when you can't remember the lines you spent weeks learning three days later, when you lost touch with the people you met? Well, here's your doggie bag: you get to keep some of the friends, if you like that sort of thing; perhaps even some of the lovers. Hopefully, you keep your ability to speak, to step out of yourself for a moment. Hopefully you remember the audacity that a stage confers on anyone on it.
Mostly, though, I learned not to take myself all too seriously, and not to trust dramatic emotion.
Humour me, and let me close with Billy:

1 comment:

S.S.STONE said...

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.