Tuesday, January 06, 2009

We're off to see the wizard

Because, because, because...because of the wonderful things he does!

So I hope anyway. Anyway, I am watching How I met you mother and I think that's a first. I'm in a funk. I like that word, funk, even if it means nothing good. Well, it does mean something good - it makes you think. It makes me think. Maybe it's because I'm almost thirty, but I don't think so. I find myself ask myself questions all the time. Why did I say that? Why take it personally? How did I get to this point? Why am I so angry?

Maybe I am becoming a Unitarian, learning to live with the questions.

So here's Rilke, who has the most beautiful questions - and the best unfettered answers:

"You are so young, so much before all beginning, and I would like to beg you, dear Sir, as well as I can, to have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer. Perhaps you do carry within you the possibility of creating and forming, as an especially blessed and pure way of living; train yourself for that but take whatever comes, with great trust, and as long as it comes out of your will, out of some need of your innermost self, then take it upon yourself, and don't hate anything."

1 comment:

Practicing Idealist said...

Questing Beast - Thank you for putting up the quote from Rilke. I think it's exactly what I needed to see. I'm angry at all the questions swirling in my head right now, too. In contrast, however, the Unitarian thing hasn't been working so well, so I've temporarily taken a hiatus from it. We'll see what happens. I wish you all the best of luck in figuring out the answers.