Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The trouble with people

Perhaps I am a cynic, but I find that when it comes to people, ignorance is bliss. I know that I am a hypocrite, as an inept blogger and social networking slave, but there is such a thing as too much information. I find myself hunched over late-night cups of time some days, wishing I knew less about my ex-colleague Bruno and Linda's hairdresser with the psychotic streak. And yes, did I really need to know who went to Ikea last weekend? Do I care what you did for Valentine's? Right, I don't. If you are going to Twitter, make it interesting, or at least entertaining. If you're going to make it your status message on Facebook, take mercy on your friends and keep in mind that they are about to have dinner and that yes, they may well run into your ex-girlfriend, and they would much rather not be obliged to try forget the excess of information you put out there. If you want to tell me about Ikea, you should at least call me up and make jokes about moose and plywood, ok? Can we make that a rule? If we're not close enough for you to do that, it probably shouldn't be on Facebook. Unless there is some profound point or good story which probably won't fit your status message anyway.

Well, I am having a belligerent day. My real point is that I am now following Brent Spiner on Twitter (which I only follow whenever someone compels me to by telling me that, say, Brent Spiner is on it) and while so far he is fairly funny I find myself dreading the moment when he will suddenly disclose some displeasing fact or unbecoming trait and I will henceforth think of it every time I watch TNG and not only will it ruin Brent Spiner it will ruin all of the Next Generation episodes for ever. Maybe I'm paranoid. Maybe I should cease to follow him on Twitter. It just feels so unfriendly. And then there's Stephen Fry, and he twitters and I at least suspect that he has enough judgment. He is good that way, he anticipates his loyal followers' fastidiousness. Stephen Fry is my imaginary friend; after all I did live with his every word for two years. But Brent Spiner…why I hardly know him at all. And LeVar Burton is on there too…goodness knows what he might say.

Help?

Note, of course, that I adhere to my own rules not at all, consistency being the last refuge of the unimaginative and all that.

1 comment:

S.S.STONE said...

oh this was good and timely! i had a conversation about the 'silliness' of facebook today ..i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks these thoughts! :)