Saturday, May 16, 2009

Christmas? Surely not

I was trying to type this post yesterday. It was not good. I was watching Love Actually and exactly replicated my original viewing experience - I spent the first half of the movie being intrigued and excited, and the second half thinking "man, for a Christmas movie and romantic comedy this movie is pretty damn depressing". I like its silliness, its reluctance to fit into the traditional category, its unapologetic approach. But who wants complexity at Christmas? Even if it isn't Christmas. The box says "The Most Delightful Film of the Year!" and I wonder how much idiocy it takes to find this movie delightful only. The problem is here that this whole thing is labelled as romantic comedy, thereby setting the viewer (at least the moderately attentive viewer) up for, at best, a surprise, and a very frustrating one. That said, Hugh Grant is awesome, I love Martine McCutcheon, Colin Firth does that thing that he does best. But anyway, I could go on about this movie, and my vexation, but instead I have Sweet Valium High stuck in my head, a song I dislike on principle (noxious lyrics, annoying singer) yes find myself humming at unguarded moments. I could talk about Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, a movie which manages to unhinge a perfectly good plot for no reason I can see, thereby ruining my simple desire for romance. Frances McDormand, Ciaran Hinds, Amy Adams - such perfect casting, such scripting massacre.

*sights*

Well, "but as the philosopher Jagger once said, 'You can't always get what you want.'"

No comments: