Thursday, January 21, 2010

Odds

I wish I had a giant sticker that said “solidarity”. It’s as much as I am willing to say about any current topic.

Of course, what I really wish I had is this thing. Because you never know when you’re going to find yourself in a time machine. Speaking of time machines, has anyone here seen Primer? Low-budget and unbelievably confusing, yet slightly boring, movie about banal time travel? Yes? No? I saw it a while ago and well, and you see what I think.

Fiction, I live in a world of fiction. I also find myself obsessively checking Twitter. This whole idea that it is a glimpse into people’s lives…it’s strange. Informative, yes, at times. But very voyeuristic. More and less so than blogs – more because it is more immediate to the person’s life; but also less personal, more public. Myriad semi-personal details.

Speaking of not fiction at all, and in keeping with my being behind the times, I recently read Into Thin Air, Jon Krakauer’s book about the disastrous Everest expedition he was in. Riveting and heartrending, but that is not my point. My point is that non-fiction is so much more interesting then I thought it was. I know that sounds…obnoxious. But I mean it. I used to think that fiction was where all the action was, but as time goes by I find myself more and more drawn to non-fiction, especially environmentally tinged books, and political biography. Oddness, but truth really is stranger than fiction.

My bigger point? None, really, only that reading = good and that it is nice to know that there are always unsuspected new fields to discover.

No comments: