Saturday, February 11, 2012

After a long absence

I don't know if blogging is worthwhile. This is why I haven't blogged in so long. I should clarify: I don't know if MY blogging is worthwhile. I have so many other demands on my time and I haven't had much to say here that was truly worth choosing over, say, writing more at length elsewhere (hello NaNoWriMo!) or working (hello good cause!) or volunteering (hello other good cause!).

My life has needed much of my time and effort. That time of crisis seems to have passed for the moment. I am grateful for that, so here I am.

On the topic of gratitude, I'd like to thank Neil Gaiman for two things today:
- His Neil Gaiman presents series at Audible, which has led me to read both Swordspoint and, just now, The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break. Both excellent books I wouldn't have read otherwise, both slow, well-written, thought-provoking, thoroughly enjoyable if not easy reads. They remind me of why I read and of why I read. So thanks for that, thanks for universes of reticent, complete and human characters, for compact writing. I love it for all it is that I am not.
- For existing in such amiable, accessible form, and for thusly randomly appearing at dinner in my head last night for good conversation, to be joined by the Top Gear team. Literature + hilarious car testing = TDEC's subconscious for the win.

I also love the side of myth in both The Minotaur and Gaiman in general. I've always loved myths and fairytales, and written with them as part of my vocabulary, and it is inspiring to me to see them used to such great effect. I respect in, a little intimidated as well.

This is my life: I am an adult now, I know who I am, what I like, what I need. My job now is to forever push myself a little at a time out of my comfort zone, to do a little more, a little different, to do better, to be better, to be more compassionate, to be more unapologetic, to be closer to what I aspire to. I aim to be a better person, in the old-fashioned way. I am to be a better writer, and to work at that. I aim to be better at all the things I do reluctantly. I aspire to balance.

But first I will sit down and play Tiny Heroes for a bit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to have you back. have missed you. yet another means for procastination though.
/C