Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Bright and shiny


I am a terrible multi-tasker. I mean by that that I am both prolific in my multi-tasking and that it ultimately has less than helpful outcomes. Oh, I love the stimulus of working on two or three things at the same time, and it caters to my squirrel-like attention span. It makes my brain purr. And yet - it doesn't serve me all that well. It breaks up my already so fragmented attention, and the quick switches mean that I will forget what I am doing half a dozen times a day. It means that I am doing two or three (sometimes four!) things in more time than it would take to do them sequentially (since I'm always having to track back to where I was). It means I do all of them worse.

The saddest, most desperate victim of my multi-tasking is my memory. My natural muddle* gets amplified like a whisper in one of those acoustic shell speakers - those things are amazing - and I completely lose track of the bigger picture. Then, when I'm done, I'm like a sleepwalker waking up in an unfamiliar street. How did I get here? What did I do? This wasn't how I'd planned it.

Rise & shine…

Why? Because what I enjoy most of all is losing myself completely in a single thing - a more concentrated forgetting of self in learning and remembering something new.**

*Whenever I say muddle, I think of E.M. Forster's Maurice and his existential confusion, his difficult trip to the truth. That is exactly what I mean.
**By the way, Internet, just to let you know, this whole blog is a sort of conversation with myself. You're welcome to sit in, but it's not all that exciting. Being public just makes me think differently, like dressing up for work, you know? And I like the vague possibility of feedback.

1 comment:

Earl Kepler said...

Do we ever arrive at the truth? Some version of it, perhaps.