Thursday, May 02, 2013

A few notes

1. It's Crucible time, the only time I ever think "Man, I wish I were in Sheffield"

2. I am currently reading Queen Victoria's Book of Spells, a collection of gaslamp fantasy stories. I was a little worried that it would be either cutesie or nostalgic. It is instead dark and well-researched, and reminds me most of my days reading The Picture of Dorian Gray and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

3. I finished that mindfulness book. It is, in spite of its inauspicious beginning and its self-help label, a book that is pragmatic, clear, and actually helpful. Don't buy the hype, friends, insanity is overrated.

4. I am also reading The Heart and the Fist. I am sure Eric Greitens is a great human being. His prose, on the other hand, laced as it is with cliches on every page, with his Emphatic Narration Full of Ponderous Pauses, makes me want to hide under a dictionary. It makes me want run in the fields shouting avant garde poetry just to cleanse my palate. This saddens me. I had high hopes.

5. Calming Manatees make everything better.


No comments: